Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sorry, I Cannot Support Michael Steele

Dear Mr. Steele:

At another time, I would be able to support your candidacy. You have demonstrated that your intelligence and grasp for issues suggests you would be a good senator. However, after seeing your performance on Meet the Press today, I cannot support you as Maryland’s next senator for the following reasons:
  1. Although I am personally against abortion, I am pro-choice. I want those who choose abortion for whatever reason to be able to do so legally and safely. Having grown up in New York and reading the stories of “back alley” abortions, I am afraid that the pro-life position will cause this to happen again if abortions were made illegal. I will continue to campaign for other options. But for those who do not agree with me, I want it as a choice.

  2. I am pro-embryonic stem cell research. Shutting off any research, regardless of the stage, is irresponsible to those who are hoping for cures and those who want to deliver those cures. The compromise bill that would use embryos that would be eventually discarded from fertility clinics is something that could be supported until other alternatives can be developed. And your answers regarding the current destruction of embryos seem disingenuous.

  3. Also, I have never heard you come out against the death penalty. It is hypocritical to support right-to-life-related legislation while continuing to support the death penalty. Consistency says that murder is murder regardless of the situation.

  4. You cannot reform Washington if the problem is the leadership of the party in power not being willing to perform its oversight functions. While I am not in favor of impeachment proceedings, the Republican-lead congress has abrogated its oversight responsibilities in the name of party loyalty. This is wrong and it needs to be changed.

Since you are a Republican, I would have had more respect for you looked to distance yourself from that leadership if you would have said to Tim Russert that you would refrain from voting on leadership if you would be elected as a protest against their actions over the last few years. Russert gave you a chance on this and you reacted like the proverbial deer caught in the headlights of a great interviewer. Yes, it would be a symbolic gesture, but it would have been a great start to what could have been a great career.

As someone who is registered as NOT AFFILIATED and prides himself on making reasonable decisions, I am reasonably sure that having a Republican represent Maryland at this point of time is not the direction that is in the best interest of this state or this nation. I hope you keep that fire to do something for Maryland because it would be nice to see you come back in four years to run against Barbara Mikulski.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home