Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Hypocricy

The following was sent to Countdown at countdown@msnbc.com following the report of NBC News’s canceling the Don Imus morning show:

First and foremost, I do not condone Don Imus’s words. But I defend his right to speak how he wants, no matter how I detest what he says. I defend his right under the First Amendment of our constitution. As long has his words will not put the public in jeopardy or incites riots against the government (the benchmark set by the Supreme Court), a news organization not defending Imus’s right to speak—no matter how wrong Imus is—is being hypocritical.

NBC News President Steve Capus is a hypocrite! His words are disingenuous. While he cites Imus's ratings on the MSNBC simulcast, he failed to recognize that NBC’s biggest advertisers withdrew their ads for that show. Sorry... in today’s “bottom line” view of corporate America, I doubt that NBC's parent company, General Electric, would stand for NBC Universal losing that much money when the economy is so tenuous. And to say it had no factor in this decision is playing on the liberal naivete of Keith Olbermann’s audience.

Keith Olbermann is a hypocrite for admitting that he expressed his outrage to have Imus removed from the air. The same first amendment that gives him the right to tweak Bill O'Reilly’s nose across the cable dial is the same right that Imus has for being an idiot. Just deliver the news and stop telling us what we should think. I believe the reaction speaks for how the public feels.

Further, I wish Olbermann that this Hymie who was born in Hymietown does not give any credibility to Jesse Jackson. Jackson, who discriminates in his own ways, was wrong in his interview saying that NBC had the responsibility for not keeping Imus on the “public airwaves.” The problem with his statement is that MSNBC is a cable operation, does not operate on the public airways, and not subject to the FCC regulations as NBC’s O&Os and affiliates. Further, in addition to the conservative talking-heads he and his organization has not attacked, he failed to chastise NBC News for repeating what Imus said on Nightly News. A consistent argument would be to attack NBC for putting this out on the public, regulated airwaves. But Olbermann was so caught up in his righteous indignation that he did not catch the inconsistency.

Finally, if anyone does not like what was said, they have the power to effect change. The television changes channels and has an on/off button. You can also change the radio station and use its on/off button. USE IT! It's as simple as that. We don’t need to trot out hypocrites like Jackson and Al Sharpton (see Tawana Brawley) to tell us Imus is an idiot. Just turn him off!

As for me, I used to like Keith Olbermann. I was a fan when I discovered him on ESPN. I really liked Countdown and his style even if I don’t always agree with his politics. Well sir, you just turned me off. Since you turned me off I will take advantage of that button on my television and either change the channel or turn the television off. Your self-serving hypocrisy has now reduced your audience by one.

It takes a braver person to defend someone’s right to have diarrhea of the mouth than to fire that person for their demonstration of this ailment.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home